The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a one day/one way Alpine walk/hike.
It covers 19.4 kilometres (12 miles) of Mountainous Terrain.
Be aware that you are hiking through a live volcanic hazard zone at your own risk!
The preferred starting point is located at Mangatepopo, off State highway 47 National Park.
The preferred endpoint is located at Ketetahi, off State highway 46.
The Tongariro Transport Hub secure carpark is located 1 km (or 0.62 miles) from the end of the track on State Highway 46 across from the entrance roadway to Ketetahi.
TRANSPORT is required to get from one end to the other, that’s where we can help! It is a 30 minute drive from one end to the other (22.9 kilometres or 14.2 miles).
TIME: 6 –8 hour hike.
Depending on walking speed, fitness level, sight-seeing, breaks & weather conditions.
WALKING DISTANCE: 19.4 kilometres (or 12 miles) from Mangatepopo to Ketetahi.
SHUTTLE DISTANCE: 30 minute drive. (22.9 kilometres or 14.2 miles) Ketetahi to Mangatepopo.
TRACK CONDITION: A poled route maintained by the Department of Conservation.
The track consists of natural and man-made pathways & stairs, some parts are steep, rocky with uneven volcanic terrain, exposed to the weather.
FITNESS LEVEL: A good level of fitness is needed, this is a physically challenging alpine hike.
WHAT DO I NEED TO TAKE? :
- ALL WEATHER CLOTHING – RAIN/WIND-PROOF JACKET/PANTS AND WARM CLOTHING IS ESSENTIAL!
- FOOD/DRINKS/WATER there is nothing available on the track. Do not drink water from the streams!
- FOOTWEAR Sturdy comfortable hiking boots or closed-in footwear with good solid grip soles.
- HATS x2 sunhat & beanie.
- THERMALS warm clothing/wool/fleece/polypro.
- EXTRAS: Sunglasses, Gators, First Aid Kit, Poncho, Emergency blanket, Sunscreen, Camera.
Tongariro Crossing thorough Information go to: