The Tongariro Alpine Crossing is a one day/one way Alpine walk/hike
Covering 19.4 kilometres of Mountainous Terrain.
Be aware that you are hiking through a live volcanic hazard zone at your own risk!
The preferred starting point is located at Mangatepopo, State highway 47 National Park
and ending at the preferred end point located at Ketetahi & the Tongariro Shuttle security car park located across from the entrance roadway to Ketetahi.
A 30 minute drive from one end to the other (22.9kilometres)
TRANSPORT is required to get from one end to the other that’s where we can help!
TIME: 6 –8 hour hike.
Depending on walk speed, fitness level, sight-seeing, breaks & weather conditions.
WALKING DISTANCE: 19.4 kilometres Mangatepopo to Ketetahi.
SHUTTLE DISTANCE: 30 minute drive. (22.9kilometres) Ketetahi to Mangatepopo.
TRACK CONDITION: A poled route maintained by the Department of Conservation.
Pathways & stairs, rocky steep uneven volcanic terrain, weather exposed.
FITNESS LEVEL: Good level of fitness needed this is a physically challenging alpine hike. Fit & healthy.
WHAT DO I NEED TO TAKE? :
- ALL WEATHER CLOTHING- (RAIN/WIND-PROOF JACKET/PANTS/ WARM CLOTHING)
- FOOD/DRINKS/WATER (None available on track, Do not drink water from streams! Water/snacks can be purchased from Mountain shuttle’s Security Day Car Park, please enquire)
- FOOTWEAR Sturdy comfortable hiking boots or closed in footwear with good solid grip soles
- HATS x2 (sunhat & beanie)
- THERMALS (warm clothing/wool/fleece)
- EXTRAS: Sunglasses, Gators, First Aid Kit, Poncho, Emergency blanket, Sunscreen, Camera
Tongariro Crossing thorough Information go to: